- Idaho offers a huge variety of game, making it a popular destination for hunters.
- Professional local outfitters can assist you with fees, applications, licenses, and state regulations.
- Skilled local guides can show you the best places to hunt for every kind of game.
Not only does Idaho boast some of the most breathtaking scenery in the country, it also boasts a wide variety of game. If you’re an avid sportsman looking for big game such as moose, elk, or bighorn sheep you’ll definitely find this to be a hunter’s paradise. Pronghorn, white-tailed and mule deer, black bear, wolf, and mountain lion also roam Idaho’s beautiful mountains and spectacular backcountry. Wild turkey and a variety of other game birds and waterfowl are abundant here as well. Whether you want to go it alone or hire a professional outfitter, a hunting expedition in Idaho will definitely be rewarding.
Where to Go Hunting
- The South Fork of the Salmon River, the Secesh River, and the Chamberlain Basin are several good places to hunt for moose.
- Big game hunters can find white-tailed deer, elk, black bear, cougar, and mountain goat in the beautiful Boise National Forest.
- Hells Canyon provides excellent hunting grounds for elk, deer and bear as well as a variety of game birds.
- The Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness area is also a great place to hunt elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mule deer and black bear.
- If you prefer to hunt off season, Idaho’s mountain lion season is quite liberal. These elusive creatures are found throughout much of the state.
Guided Tours & Rentals
Be sure to check out the hunting guides and outfitters listed on this page, as they can assist you with licenses, permits, regulations, and applications for controlled hunts, as well as show you the best places in the state to find the particular game you’re seeking.