- Excellent bass, crappie and trout fishing along this 13 mile stretch of the Snake River.
- Located at the southern end of the majestic Hells Canyon.
- Plenty of campgrounds available to spend the night while you’re visiting the area.
At the southern tip of the magnificent Hells Canyon on the Snake River is Oxbow Reservoir. It stretches nearly 13 miles along the river and provides excellent bass fishing year round. The reservoir is surrounded by a variety of shrub indigenous to the area including sagebrush and bitterbrush, while conifers such as Douglas fir and Ponderosa pine dot the landscape. The breathtaking Seven Devils Mountains loom to the east. Make time to explore this scenic stretch of the Oregon-Idaho border.
Location & Information
Oxbow Reservoir is located on the Snake River at the southern end of Hells Canyon. The reservoir stretches 13 miles south to the Brownlee Dam.
Contact information: Idaho Power's Recreation Information Line is 800-422-3143. McCormick Park and Woodhead Park information - 541-785-3323.
Fishing – Avid anglers come to this reservoir for smallmouth bass, crappie, catfish and trout. You can fish year round from the shore or from your boat.
Camping – There are several nice campgrounds in the area developed by Idaho Power, including McCormick Park and Woodhead Park near the Brownlee Dam, and Copperfield Park just south of Oxbow Dam.
Hells Canyon Recreation Area – This famous canyon provides endless recreation, including whitewater rafting, jet boat tours, spectacular wildlife viewing, multiple camping areas, and endless trails to hike, bike, or ride horseback.
- Oxbow and Brownlee Reservoirs together have a nationally acclaimed fishery for smallmouth bass.
- The reservoir is known for excellent crappie fishing.
- Hells Canyon, carved out by Snake River, is one of the deepest river gorges in the world, and the largest in North America.