- A beautiful alpine lake surrounded by lush green forest.
- Excellent fishing, camping, and hiking.
- A great spot for birdwatching and viewing local wildlife.
- Just 14.3 miles north of McCall.
Tucked away in the Payette National Forest a few miles north of McCall is one of Idaho’s most beautiful alpine lakes. Upper Payette Lake offers spectacular scenery. The mixture of pine, spruce and fir surrounding the lake are gently reflected on its glassy surface. With excellent fishing, hiking, camping and other outdoor recreation, it is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
Location & Information
Upper Payette Lake is 14.3 miles north of McCall, on Warren Wagon Road.
Contact Information: McCall Ranger District 208 634-0400
Fishing & Boating – Upper Payette Lake provides excellent fishing. Cast your line from your boat or from the shore for a variety of fish including brook trout, lake trout, and bronzeback.
Camping & Hiking – There are several nice campgrounds in the area in which to pitch your tent and enjoy a night out under the stars. Trails wind through the surrounding forest, perfect for hiking and viewing wildlife.
Birdwatching – A variety of beautiful birds inhabit the area including the colorful Western Tanager, Calliope hummingbirds, osprey, hairy woodpeckers, Vaux’s Swifts, and majestic bald eagles.
- Upper Payette Lake has an elevation of 5,558 feet.
- The lake is periodically stocked with rainbow trout by the Idaho Fish and Game Department.
- There are several other lakes in this area including Brundage Reservoir, Granite Lake, and Goose Lake.